12/22/2012

ggt!!!--part 5




raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
brown paper packages tied up with strings
these are a few of my favourite things!

cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels
doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
these are a few of my favourite things!

girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
snowflakes that stay on my nose and eye lashes
silver white winters that melt into spring
these are a few of my favourite things!

when the dog bites, when the bee stings
when i'm feeling sad, 
i simply remember my favourite things
and then i don't feel so bad!


christmas is my favourite time of the year. boney m, kenny and dolly, alabama, mariah carey, and the vince guaraldi trio (aka the charlie brown christmas soundtrack) are some of my favourite albums. a charlie brown christmas, the first and second home alonesroad to avonlea christmasrudolph the red nosed reindeer, santa clause is comin' to town, different editions of a christmas carol (but especially the 1951 version titled scrooge), and it's christmastime again, charlie brown are some of my favourite christmas shows. when dad didn't have to plow snow on christmas eve or christmas day. christmas eve service at my church. christmas eve and christmas day spent with family. christmas dinner and leftovers. turkey tacos with friends. these are a few of my favourite things. growing up, my parents knew how to make it memorable by giving my sister and me some of the things we asked for, as well as our fair share of bang-on surprises--things we never thought to ask for, but that they knew we'd love. we never really believed in santa because our parents didn't want my sister and me to be disappointed when we asked for things they couldn't conceivably afford. they made sure we knew that the meaning of christmas far exceeded gift giving and trees and decorations...it's about a baby born in a manger, who suffered for my healing and who died to take away my sins...check this link out: linus' explanation of the meaning of christmas.

this year was going to be different from last year. just starting a new job, i was the low woman on the gfs roster, with no seniority because i had only started working there nov. 28th--which means i had to work christmas eve and boxing day. by extension, it also meant i wouldn't make it home for christmas for the first time in my life. i have a great group of friends here who are like family, so all my people back home and i dealt with it and connected online over the holidays. this year i made sure i put in for time off around christmas so that i could make it home, and i had managed to secure 6 days off. it would be a wonderful time!

however, life doesn't always go as planned...

if you've been reading along, you'll know that i have a recent leukemia diagnosis. i am getting amazing, world renowned care and treatment where i am...but it means i won't be going home for christmas...i won't be with my folks, and sister, and niece, and extended family, and friends back home...this sucks royally, but again, i am with friends who are like family here and i will connect with my loved ones back home...but i won't lie; i am going to miss everyone and everything back home that makes christmas christmas.

we're making the best of a bad situation. all of us. it's not easy and it sometimes doesn't seem fair, but remembering my favourite things helps (my folks, my sister, my niece, my family, my friends), my next visit home, everyone here...yeah...i'm remembering all my favourite things because it could be soooo much different for me...i am blessed.

as i write this today, i am back in the hospital because i developed a sore throat and a bit of a fever several days ago. i have been admitted since thursday and the goal is to get me out by monday...it's
looking good as far as the numbers are concerned, and the fact that my sore throat is gone...dr. leber and my nurse practitioner alix think monday shouldn't be a problem as long as i don't spike a fever...so i'm praying to that end.

the song i started with is one of my christmas faves...and is even more so this year...in a way, the dog has bitten, the bee has stung, and i have felt sad over the past couple of months...but at this time of my life, and during this season, i am remembering my favourite things and in doing so i am not feeling so bad!

happy christmas and merry new year indeed, everyone!!!

because God's got this!!!

3 comments:

  1. Kelty O'Donnell said:

    I love reading your blog!! You rock!! :-D Much love being sent your way!!! GGT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie Ramirez said:

    I am amazed, as always, at your insight, your attitude and the inspiration you share. It's easy to tell this has been (is) one of those 'footprints moments." GGT

    We will miss you....I promise to eat an extra turkey taco for you....but we will celebrate BIG TIME when you do come home. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila Scott said:

    I love reading your Blogs ! You are amazing , God bless and have a good Christmas

    ReplyDelete

post your point-of-view here!

"popular posts" suite

"stewart" suite--a bit about me

My photo
here, there, everywhere, Canada
blogger, cancer fighter, cbc-er, cleaner, daughter, doer, dog lover, iphone lover, ipod updater, leukemia fighter, listener, loner, organizer, reader, road tripper, sharer, singer, sister, surfer, texter, thinker, watcher, writer, worker

"peeps" suite--people who follow me directly thru blogger